Check out below a sample passage from Dr. Gary Wood’s great book Unlock Your Confidence: Find The Keys To Lasting Change Through The Confidence Karma Method.
Stand up straight, close your eyes and stretch by reaching your hands up to the sky and standing on tiptoe. Now return to normal relaxed posture. Repeat this a few times. Then lie on the floor on your back and put your arms above your head and stretch. Breathe deeply while you are doing this and just see how much extra length you can get in your body by stretching a little more after each breath.
Stand with feet hip width apart with knees unlocked. Your feet should be slightly turned in, not splayed out. Keep your back straight, neck relaxed and head looking ahead. Relax your elbows, keep your arms a little way from your body, creating a space under your armpits, with your arms, hands and fingers hanging loosely. Focus on your feet making contact with the ground. Feel grounded.
• Push your tongue against the roof of your mouth (just behind your teeth) to relax your jaw.
• Lift your eyebrows very slightly, and put a smile in your eyes. Think of how you react to a baby doing something cute and your eyes narrow slightly. Models do the ‘smoky eyes thing’ to look sexy. It’s a cross between a look of quiet benevolence and trapped wind. This will help to relax the eyes and forehead.
• Bring a gentle, almost imperceptible smile to your face.
Now here’s an energizing breathing technique combined with physical movement that can help wake you up in the morning and give you an energy boost any time throughout the day.
Pull and Push Breath
• Stand in a relaxed posture and raise your arms above your head in fists (backs of hands outwards, palm side facing you).
• As you breathe in through your nose, pull your fists down to shoulder height, slowly and smoothly, creating resistance as if pulling down on a bar.
• Pause, turn fists (backs of hands now facing you, palm side out), breathe out with an ‘aaaah’ sound as you begin to open your hands to push upwards, again creating resistance (like pushing on a bar). Reach up with palms facing the sky and splay fingers.
These are just a few exercises to help to release tension and create the calm body and a calmer mind.
Dr. Gary Wood
Unlock Your Confidence
£10.99, Available from Watkins Publishing
Sign up for our newsletter to get