Swami Saradananda, author of The Essential Guide to Chakras, has some great suggestions for getting the energy flowing freely through your chakras, including today’s visualization for your second chakra – the sacral chakra. But first, here’s an overview of what this chakra does for you.
What are your chakras? Read our guide to Working with Your Chakras.
What is the Sacral Chakra?
The swadhisthana chakra is associated with your creative instincts and pleasure impulse. When its energy is balanced and unblocked, you experience fluidity and grace in your life and are able to accept and adapt to change (hence why it’s known as the water chakra). The sacral chakra is the seat of your instinct of procreation.
It is not necessarily concerned with your personal survival, but rather with your gratification. Its power lies in self-fulfilment, as opposed to the self-centred energy of the root chakra.
Symbolized by the water element, the swadhisthana energy is what enables you to move and change. It is about balance in your life, and the ability to engage in a healthy give and take with others. If you are able to maintain a healthy equilibrium of sacral energy, you will tend to feel more comfortable with yourself. You will be able to give your energy to others, but also to recognize that your needs in life are important.
What are the benefits of the sacral chakra?
- Increasing your vitality, sensitivity and creative abilities
- Expressing your emotions in healthier ways
- Feeling more confident and able to express yourself
Sacral chakra visualization: imagining your mind as a lake
1. Sit in a comfortable meditation position of your choice. Close your eyes. Breathe gently through both nostrils, with your lips sealed. Imagine that your mind is a lake.
2. Imagine that someone has dropped a large, beautiful diamond into the lake. Allow your breath to become progressively shallower, until it is just coming to the end of your nostrils. By doing this, your breath won’t make any ripples on the surface of the lake.
3. As your breath becomes calmer, so will your mind. Now focus all your attention on seeing the diamond beneath the waters.
4. If you notice your mind drifting off, keep bringing it back to this point of focus.
5. If other thoughts start to arise in your mind, do not try to drive them away. The more you try, the more they will return and gain strength. They will tax your energy. Become indifferent to other things that are happening in your mind and focus your attention solely on the diamond. The other thoughts will gradually disperse.
6. When the surface of a lake is still you can see to the bottom clearly. When the surface is agitated by waves, this is impossible. The same is true of your mind. When it is still you will experience profound inner peace.
Discover the power of your chakras, and how to work with them to acheive balance and harmony, in The Essential Guide to Chakras.
More Blogs on Chakras: