We are seeking a super talented Junior designer brimming with creativity. The role requires someone capable of coming up with exciting, strong and fresh designs across our lists. You’ll take visuals from concept through to print so some understanding of the print process would be beneficial. Key requirements for this role: a general enthusiasm and passion for design, illustration and image manipulation skills, multi-tasking and a strong background in concept design.
This role involves working closely with the Head of Design, Editorial and Sales colleagues to develop and deliver impressive new designs. You will relish the chance to use your existing experience across Watkins to shape this fast-growing list, producing innovative ideas with outstanding international and UK commercial potential.
To be considered for this vacancy you must be self-motivated, demonstrate a genuine love for book design, and show strong concept and typographical skills. You will have a passion for design, and finding creative solutions, as well as being highly proficient in InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator. You will be organised, deadline-driven, and good at building strong working relationships. Confident communication and interpersonal skills are essential.
This full-time role based in our busy Islington offices is a great opportunity for the right candidate to help develop some exceptional books for an exciting and growing list.
Reporting to: Head of Design
Design – Cover and layout
- Taking visuals from concept through to print – covers and internals
- Working with the Head of Design and Editorial, and occasionally authors, to ensure briefs are answered with the right tone for the market
- Designing internal layouts for new and old titles where briefed by the Head of Design
- Conduct picture research for cover and internal designs
- Preparing final cover files for approval in-house – to include cover copy and company logos following in-house style guidelines
- Responsible for checking and wrapping printouts and first proofs around dummies to ensure fit and quality of product.
- Checking jacket proofs – ozalids; plotters and advances
- Archiving job files, including gathering all high-res and fonts, for future printings
- Update jackets as directed by Head of Design and Production, following in-house style guidelines
- Update prelims where necessary, following in-house style guidelines
- Prepare jacket and prelim files ready for repro (Print ready PDFs)
- Wrap jackets around existing books to check fit and alignment
- Check updated cover ozalids and prelims when necessary
Sales material and presentations
- Take on allocated presentations for each key bookfair
- Prepare material for seasonal catalogues
- Design general Sales Material – Bookmarks, Web Banners etc
- Provide regular up-to-date, as well as final, end of project PDFs and JPGs for Sales and Marketing purposes
- Thorough understanding of Indesign, photoshop and illustrator (we use CC)
- Knowledge of the print process and colour management
- Excellent time management skills
To apply please send your cover letter and CV to our Head of Design, Georgina Hewitt, firstname.lastname@example.org by 23rd November 2018.
Salary for this role is between £20,000 – £23,000 per annum dependent on experience.
PUBLICITY & EDITORIAL COORDINATOR for our imprint Angry Robot
We are looking for someone to join the established Angry Robot list and oversee each book from initial data and sales copy, through the editorial processes, and out into the world. This hybrid role will include coordinating publicity plans for each book, from review copies and advance publicity through to author appearances and the occasional convention date. Alongside this, the role also includes overseeing the book’s progress through the various technical stages on its path to publication – ensuring it is edited on time, that proofreads are collated, and a final text is readied for typesetting. Working with the commissioning editor, who is responsible for the content and development of the words, you will keep those books on track to successful publication.
This is a rare opportunity to step aboard an acclaimed list and continue to ensure fine books emerge, as scheduled, into a world that is eager to read them. The ideal candidate will have demonstrable knowledge of the world of SF and fantasy books and publishing. Communication skills will need to be top class, both within Watkins between editorial and the sales/marketing teams, and also public-facing. The ideal person will know how to create and run a schedule, and how to ensure every milestone is achieved on time. This role will be reporting to the Angry Robot commissioning editor.
The job is full-time and based in our Central London offices – alas, no remote working will be considered. The salary for this role will be between £22,000–£25,000 per annum, dependent on experience.
If you feel you have the right qualities for this position, then please send your CV with a covering letter, including details of your notice period to Etan Ilfeld etan.ilfeld@watkinspublishing.
Type: Full time
Salary: £22,000 to £25,000 depending on experience
Assist the Commissioning Editor of Angry Robot an award-winning science fiction imprint. Oversee the progress of books from initial data to publication and beyond including development and publicity.
- Guide books through the publishing schedule
- Create supporting data
- Support marketing & publicity activity
- Run the AR website day-to-day
- Be a part of the Angry Robot team
- Guide books through the publishing schedule
- Ensure books are scheduled appropriately, in consultation with the Commissioning Editor
- Create key progress milestones on the path from acquisition to publication
- Maintain awareness of each book’s progress through the schedule track, and report as needed
- Liaise with editors and proofreaders to ensure stages completed to schedule, and flag any issues before they become a crisis
- Create supporting data
- Allocate ISBNs and confirm book formats
- Build the AI sheets for new acquisitions
- Help create appropriate sales copy
- Ensure data added to the in-house Minerva system, the AR website, Nielsen database, PRH’s MyHouse system and Amazon
- Contribute to the monthly AR customer newsletter
Support marketing & publicity activity
- In conjunction with the Watkins sales & marketing team, create a timetable of promotions for each book
- Liaise with authors on building and delivering this activity
- Assist with arrangements for launches
- Place online articles and reviews where appropriate
- Approve reviews through NetGalley and Edelweiss
Run the AR website day-to-day
- Write short news items to accompany book announcements, launches and other events
- Oversee the AR social media feeds, notably Twitter
- Keep the website updated
- Ensure web orders are processed smoothly, including ebook subscriptions and special offers
Be a part of the Angry Robot team
- Promote the Angry Robot brand at all times
- Attend occasional SF conventions and publishing events on behalf of AR
- Advise on editorial needs and the wider topic of SF and fantasy fiction, new reading technology and online opportunities
- Assist with considering new books for the range
- Contribute general ideas about the AR range and the business
- Science fiction & fantasy books and publishing scene knowledge
- Scheduling and project management
- Communication skills, especially in copy writing
- Good English grammar and spelling
- Website and social media experience
- Word and Excel competence
Commissioning Editor, Angry Robot
Apply with CV and notice period to etan.ilfeld@watkinspublishing.
Rolling 2-week Work Experience Placements
We are always looking for enthusiastic graduates looking for work experience in publishing. For more information, please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com
Thank you for your interest in Watkins Publishing Limited.