We are looking for an experienced Managing Editor to work across our list.
Established in 1893, Watkins is one of the oldest publishers of mind, body, spirit and personal development books. Watkins Publishing is part of Watkins Media Ltd, an independently owned multimedia company specializing in books, magazines and digital content.
Working within the editorial team, alongside the Commissioning Editors and reporting to the Publisher, the candidate must be a team player, have strong communication skills and the ability to multi-task, and be able to oversee a wide variety of titles and tasks from manuscript handover to delivery of finished copies.
- Managing the editorial process for all Watkins titles, new and reuse, including ebook conversion.
- Working closely with authors and freelancers to maintain high-quality editorial standards on all content delivered. This will include guiding first-time authors through the editorial process.
- Commissioning and liaising with freelance editors, indexers, proofreaders, designers and typesetters.
- Scheduling and managing all editorial workflows, including adjusting these as necessary in order to maintain on-time delivery and to include new title opportunities as they arise.
- Maintaining management of all title P&Ls and budgets to include development of new metrics that may improve existing systems if necessary.
- Streamlining and prioritising editorial processes, as well as monitoring supplier performance.
- Working with the editorial, production, design and sales teams to set priorities, and to create and maintain standards and schedules for all books and reprints.
- Having responsibility for quality control and final sign-off on all books as well as covers, advanced information sheets and printer proofs.
- A solid track record in project management and editorial skills with at least 5 years’ experience of editorial management on text only books. It would be advantageous to have experience in managing colour, illustrated projects.
- As books vary in the amount of care and attention needed from the managing editor, the ability to switch between a supervisory role to micro-level problem-solving as required’
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to manage and prioritise a varied workload and to meet deadlines
- The ability to work both within a cross-functional team and to work independently
- Flexible, solution-based thinking & strong negotiation skills
- Knowledge of both print and digital production and delivery schedules
- Ability to collaborate and influence cross-functionally at all levels of seniority
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment on multiple and diverse high-priority projects
- Excellent attention to detail
- An interest in, or affinity with, the genre of books on the Watkins list
- Good working knowledge of Excel, InDesign, Word and Acrobat
The role is based in our London office near Angel, Islington.
Application closing date: Friday 19th October 2018
Applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rolling 2-week Work Experience Placements
We are always looking for enthusiastic graduates looking for work experience in publishing. For more information, please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com
Thank you for your interest in Watkins Publishing Limited.