PUBLICITY ASSISTANT (Full-time)
Salary range: £19,500 – £21,500, dependent on experience.
Applications close: 3rd November 2020
We are looking for a dynamic and enthusiastic Publicity Assistant to join our busy publicity department. Reporting to the Marketing & PR Manager, you will assist in publicising a range of exciting non-fiction and MBS titles from award-winning authors.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate a strong interest in the publishing industry. You will be an excellent communicator, an outside-of-the-box thinker, passionate about making a deliverable impact on the publishing industry and readers, and have a good understanding of the role PR plays within publishing. You will also be passionate about Watkins diverse publishing programme, excited to work as part of a close-knit and supportive team, and full of ideas guaranteed to create outstanding media coverage.
This role will see you working closely with the Watkins and Nourish imprint’s global marketing and PR teams, using your communication skills to pitch authors for broadcast and media interviews and secure features and reviews in print and online. Experience with planning and facilitating events and conferences is also desirable.
- Assist in developing and managing effective print and online marketing activities and publicity campaigns
- Help to ensure strong media coverage on international, national and regional levels
- Secure long and short lead media including websites, podcasts, blogs, and national TV
- Build successful and lasting working relationships with key stakeholders in the media
- Act as the main point of contact for authors, ensuring excellent author care
- Work closely with and support counterparts in international distributor’s offices
- Actively participate in internal publicity, strategy, sales conferences, and author proposal meetings
Experience / skills required:
- A passion for the publishing industry
- Ability to demonstrate a creative approach to publicity
- Creative, innovative self-starter who can work independently as well as part of a team
- Design experience a plus/displayed working knowledge of photoshop or similar digital design platform to create A+ content/social media items as required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Zoom. Proficiency in Cision is a plus.
- Knowledge of social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- A passion or interest in mind, body, spirit titles would be advantageous
How to Apply for this job: Please email your CV and cover letter to Laura Whitaker-Jones at email@example.com with “Publicity Assistant” in the subject line.
Watkins is a leading publisher of personal development and mind-body-spirit books. Working in partnership with outstanding authors, we produce authoritative, innovative titles, both illustrated and non-illustrated. Offering fresh interpretations on important subjects, old and new, Watkins is dedicated to inspiring and entertaining our readers and making a positive difference in the world.
Nourish Books is all about wellbeing through food and drink, irresistible dishes with a serious good-for-you factor. If you want to eat and drink delicious things that set you up for the day, suit any special diets, keep you healthy and make the most of what you can afford, Nourish Books has got some great ideas to share with you.
Watkins Internship Scheme
Watkins Publishing is delighted to announce a new internship program, run by our parent company Watkins Media, for anyone looking for genuine, well-paid experience in publishing!
The Watkins Internship Scheme will be a six-week long programme in which participants will have the opportunity to work across Watkins’ three imprints (Watkins Publishing, Repeater Books, and, Angry Robot), and gain experience in all departments in the company.
All interns will be paid the London Living Wage (£10.75 per hour), you don’t need a university degree or any prior experience to apply, AND we’ll be offering Skype interviews to make it easier for applicants outside of London.
Applications for the first round of placements are due by Friday 13th December 2019, with the first formal placements to commence Monday 27th Jan 2020.
The Watkins Internship Scheme is currently closed.