COMMISSIONING EDITOR, WATKINS PUBLISHING (Full-time)
Salary Range: £30,000 – £32,000, dependent on experience.
Applications close: 31st July 2021
Do you love books about personal development, alternative health and new ways of living, working and connecting with others? Do you have sound commercial sense and experience of commissioning and project managing illustrated and mono books in this field? Watkins, one of the world’s leading independent wellbeing publishers, is looking for a creative and dynamic commissioning editor with an ambition to publish innovative, high-quality and commercially successful books in this fast-growing sector.
- Commissioning new books for Watkins, including coming up with new project ideas and searching out new talent
- Identifying and developing reuse projects from the backlist
- Negotiating contracts with agents and authors
- Liaising closely with authors at all stages from the first spark of an idea to promoting the published book and beyond
- Concept development, including creating and pitching new project proposals, briefing authors, structural editing, flatplanning, organising shoots, briefing designers to create covers and interior spreads
- Liasing with copyeditors and designers on the creation of colour illustrated books in Indesign
- Creating and managing P&Ls
- Briefing and working closely with in-house project managers
- Writing sales copy
- Taking responsibility for the success of your books by liaising closely with the Marketing & Publicity and Sales departments, identifying promotional opportunities and generally being the champion of your books
Key Skills & Expertise
- Knowledge of the wellbeing and mind-body-spirit market (e.g. who publishes what, what is selling well, what future trends might be)
- Contacts in the field (e.g. agents, potential authors)
- A track record of commissioning commercially successful books
- A sense for what makes a great book
- The vision, patience and experience to turn an idea into a book
- Great editorial skills and an eye for design
- Ability to juggle tasks, prioritise and organise yourself and others
- Fantastic communication and a love of collaborative teamwork
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently
- Word, Excel, Indesign
To apply for this full-time role, please email a CV and covering letter to Fiona.Robertson@WatkinsPublishing.com
Watkins is a leading publisher of personal development and mind-body-spirit books. Working in partnership with outstanding authors, we produce authoritative, innovative titles, both illustrated and non-illustrated. Offering fresh interpretations on important subjects, old and new, Watkins is dedicated to inspiring and entertaining our readers and making a positive difference in the world.
Nourish Books is all about wellbeing through food and drink, irresistible dishes with a serious good-for-you factor. If you want to eat and drink delicious things that set you up for the day, suit any special diets, keep you healthy and make the most of what you can afford, Nourish Books has got some great ideas to share with you.
Watkins Internship Scheme
Watkins Publishing is delighted to announce a new internship program, run by our parent company Watkins Media, for anyone looking for genuine, well-paid experience in publishing!
The Watkins Internship Scheme will be a six-week-long programme in which participants will have the opportunity to work across Watkins’ three imprints (Watkins Publishing, Repeater Books, and, Angry Robot), and gain experience in all departments in the company.
All interns will be paid the London Living Wage (£10.75 per hour), you don’t need a university degree or any prior experience to apply, AND we’ll be offering Skype interviews to make it easier for applicants outside of London.
Applications for the first round of placements are due by Friday 13th December 2019, with the first formal placements to commence Monday 27th Jan 2020.
The Watkins Internship Scheme is currently closed.